Farmland for a New Generation New York is a program coordinated by American Farmland Trust – in partnership with the State of New York, agricultural organizations, land trusts, and others – that helps farmers seeking land and landowners who want to keep their land in farming.
The program offers a statewide Resource Center with expert advisers and a website featuring training materials and listings of farmers in search of land as well as land available for farming. Farmland for a New Generation New York also supports a network of Regional Navigators, or partner organizations with dedicated staff, that provides training and on-the-ground customized support for farmers and landowners in regions across New York.
Farmland for a New Generation New York offers services to help farmland seekers – new farmers and younger generations of farm families – while supporting retiring farmers and other farmland owners in successfully transferring their farms. This statewide website and support from American Farmland Trust staff includes:
An online directory of available farm properties across New York and profiles of farmers in search of land
Trainings, materials, and model documents to educate and support farmers and landowners
Experienced staff who offer a first point of contact to navigate key topics tied to accessing and transferring farmland
A pathway to find and access more technical expertise available to support farmers and landowners
Please Contact Us or a Regional Navigator with questions and to receive assistance with finding your farm, developing your farm succession plans, preparing your land for agriculture, or conserving your farm.
Farmland for a New Generation New York FAQ's
1. How do I contact farmers/landowners? First, you will need to create your profile. If you are looking for land, create a farmer profile. If you are a landowner and are looking to connect with a farmer, create a landowner profile and then you will create a farm profile about your property. After you have created your profile you will receive an email to schedule a call with someone from the Farmland for a New Generation New York team. Be sure to also check your spam folder for this email. Following the phone call, we will be able to activate your profile. After your profile is activated you will be able to see the contact email for the profiles listed on the website. The contact email will be located at the top of each profile.
2. How do I create a farmland seeker profile? Go to https://nyfarmlandfinder.org/ and click the ‘Create a Profile’ button. You must have an active email account to create a profile. If you do not have an active email, please reach out to [email protected] or your closest Regional Navigator organization for assistance. Choose ‘Land Seeker’ as the account type and fill in the required information. Make sure to fill out all information honestly and thoroughly. Think of your profile as your resume! Agree to the terms and conditions then select ‘Create New Account’. After you have submitted your information you will receive an email (check your spam folder) from an FNGNY team member to schedule a phone call. During the call you will review your profile, discuss your farming plans, and go over how to use the website with a team member. After the call your profile will be activated. Once activated you will be able to see the contact information for all the landowners who have listings on the website when you are logged into your account. You will not be able to contact the landowners until your account is active!
3. How do I create a 'Landowner or Farm Profile'? Go to https://nyfarmlandfinder.org/ and click the ‘Create a Profile’ button. You must have an email account to create a profile. If you do not have an active email, please reach out to [email protected] or your closest Regional Navigator organization for assistance. Choose ‘Landowner’ as the account type and fill in the required personal information. Agree to the terms and conditions then select ‘Create New Account’. Once on the ‘Registration successful. You are now logged in’ page, select the brown ‘Create a Farm Profile’ button. Your ‘Farm Profile’ is where you will provide information about your property and the opportunity you are offering a farmer. Fill out all the required information thoroughly then click ‘Save’. You must submit a farm profile in order to contact any of the farmers listed on the website. After you have submitted this information you will receive an email (check your spam folder) from an FNGNY team member to schedule a phone call. During the call you will review your profile, discuss the opportunity you are offering, and go over how to use the website with a team member. After the call your profile will be activated. Once activated you will be able to see the contact information for all the farmers listed!
4. I have a profile so why can't I see the farmers/landowners contact information? Only activated profiles are able to see the contact information for those listed on the website. To activate your profile, email [email protected] to schedule a call with a team member. After you speak with a team member they will activate your profile for you. If you identified as landowner in your personal profile, you must also create a farm profile for your property before we can schedule a call. If your profile is activated, double check that you are logged into the website. You have to be logged into your account in order to see the contact information.
5. Are there any fees for creating a profile on the Farmland for a New Generation New York Resource Center? Creating a profile and using the website is a totally free service.
6. How do I search for a farm/farmer? Look for the links to ‘Find a Farm’ or ‘Find a Farmer’ pages. Click on the appropriate link to begin your search.
7. I tried contacting a farmer/landowner and they haven’t responded. What do I do?
If you’ve tried contacting a farmer or landowner more than once, and you still haven’t heard back, reach out to us. Please let us know the name of the farm and/or person you are trying to contact. We will follow up with them and keep you updated.
8. I don’t know about my property’s soil types. How do I get that information?
Two online resources for this information are The Natural Resources Conservation Service - Web Soil Survey and The UC Davis - SoilWeb Online Soil Survey. Using one of these websites, you can generate a soil map for your property. You can also contact your local Cornell Cooperative Extension or your county Soil and Water Conservation District office for assistance.
9. I made a connection with a farmer/farm. What do I do now? That’s great news! Please contact us to let us know. In addition to hearing the good news, we want to know if you’re looking for any follow-up resources. We will also want to know if you’d like to keep your profile active or if you’d like us to remove it from the website.
10. I would like assistance developing a farm lease? We have great resources specific to leasing farmland. These resources are listed on the website’s ‘resources’ page. You can also contact a Regional Navigator near you to inquire about their services! All Regional Navigators contact information is listed on the 'Regional Navigator' page.
11. I am no longer interested in having a profile on this website. How do I delete it? Contact us and we will be able to remove your profile for you!