Description of the property’s current condition and current use(s):
The property was originally a dairy farm and is now a hay farm.
Farm history / past uses of the property:
Infrastructure and equipment:
- Water access
- Barns or other facilities for storage of equipment, livestock, and crops
- Farmer housing
Water access description:
We are planning to create a 4-5 acre retention pond and we expect to have access to either the town water supply or a drilled well.
There is a large dairy barn that we intend to refurbish/renovate.
Farmer housing description:
We plan to either restore the current farmhouse or build a brand new structure.
Crops and Livestock
Types of crops permitted to be produced on the property:
Types of livestock permitted on the property:
Livestock/crops description :
We would like to have egg-laying chickens, alpacas and a few other low-maintenance animals.
Description of tenure options:
We are developing an agri-residential community in Livingston Manor and we would like to consult with and eventually hire/partner with a farmer to grow vegetables/fruits (and potentially raise egg-laying chickens) for the community. It's essentially a hyper local CSA on property to be funded by the homeowners. We would also like a farmer that is comfortable interfacing with the community and potentially educating them about farming (not required but preferred).
Is the property located in a NY Agricultural District?:
Preferred farming method:
Preferences and restrictions on agricultural activities:
We plan to have both a production farm and an education farm/garden area.
Do you require a farmer who qualifies for agricultural assessment?:
Are you willing to have the public on the property as a part of the farm business?:
Any additional information about this property:
Broadacre Farm, a first of its kind regenerative agrihood in the beautiful Catskills hamlet of Livingston Manor, NY is a 117 acre mountainside former dairy farm which includes 15 tillable acres of protected farmland for orchards, grazing and vegetable production with a commitment to regenerative agriculture practices that promote soil health and carbon sequestration.
The property will feature a renovated barn with greenhouse and a commercial kitchen for farm to table co-packing of value added products. New roads & utilities are being built on the site to accommodate ~46 residential houses, the farm portion of the property will be owned by the homeowner’s association and permanently protected for agricultural use. The location is unique not only for its sweeping views, but also for diversity of wildlife and walkable accessibility to the up-and-coming town of Livingston Manor, renowned for its fly fishing & outdoor activities.
Broadacre Farm is seeking an aspiring farmer or farming family to join our founding team as Farm Manager. Initially, our needs are more limited and can be accomplished hourly, but this will grow into a full-time salaried opportunity with profit sharing and benefits including housing upon establishment of the farm’s operations. We are seeking a true partner who is looking for a long term opportunity to grow without the burden of land ownership. As the farm is a startup and needs to brought back to life, the Farm Manager will have broad discretion and autonomy to work with management to devise & execute the whole farm plan.
● 5+ years of farming experience (hay, pasture management, orchard production, berry production, vegetable production preferred)
● 2+ years of animal husbandry experience
● Knowledge of organic and regenerative farming methods
2021 growing season
● Work together with our team, the Rodale Institute, Appleseed Permaculture and the Cornell Extension to finalize farm design elements and infrastructure requirement and assist in the selection of the required farm equipment
● Establish and manage ~15 acres in row crop (corn) production; land is wet and has been in permanent hay for decades. Marketing and sale of crop is at the discretion of the farmer.
● Help select rootstocks, plant and establish one orchard of pear & chestnut trees, and one orchard of apples intercropped with perennial herbs
● Assist with recordkeeping to ensure all methods of production are in compliance with the National Organic Program
Post-2021 growing season
● Replace corn with deep-rooted cover crops to support grazing as well as improve soil health, drainage, and organic matter
● Establish both the cover crop as well as fencing & windbreaks, water and shed infrastructure in preparation for introducing livestock to the property
● Select animals to establish an educational scale rotational fiber grazing operation with heritage breed sheep, goats, alpacas, and egg laying chickens as well as beekeeping
● Greenhouse management to include year-round organic seed starts and establishment of a community vegetable garden with 50 raised beds to be planted in the Spring
● Establish forest farming activities including mushroom logs and small scale sugar maple tapping
● Establish the framework for a hyper local 100-member CSA that will serve all 46 residences as well as the surrounding community
2022 and beyond
● Work with the community’s brand to develop value-added farm products using sheep & alpaca fibre, honey, eggs, and establishing a micro-dairy for specialty goat & sheeps milk products.
● Lead farm tours and regenerative farming educational programming
● Establish a CSA debit card program for the residents & neighbors in the community
● Represent the community at farmers markets in the Catskills region and in New York City
● Determine inventory and manage part time help in the weekend operation of an on-site farmstand.