Mabee Farm

Rotterdam Junction, NY, Schenectady County

For Lease
Updated

Acres Available

2.60

Open Tillable Acres

3

Wooded (or other) Acres

0

Infrastructure

  • black outline electrical icon Electrical access
  • Black outline of a water drop Water access
Show All

Crops Permitted

  • black outline of a carrot Vegetables
  • black outline apple icon Fruits
  • black outline of a flower Flowers or Ornamentals
  • black outline of a wheat germ Grains
Show All

Livestock Permitted

  • Black outline of a bee Bees
Show All

Condition & Current Use

Former farmland next to the Mohawk River. Currently vacant grassland. 

The 2.6 acres is adjacent to Mabee Farm Historic Site which does small-scale farming on 1 additional acre. We would love for the farmer to provide guidance and direction to the historic site's 1 acre farm, and keep 90% of the crops. The remaining 10%  would be used by the historic site for programming. 

We are looking for someone who is comfortable with the public and would lead seasonal tours or workshops of the farming practices. 

Soil Types

Howard gravelly silt loam, 0 to 3 percent slopes. This soil is considered prime farmland. See attached soils report for more information.

Tenure Options

Tenure Options

For Lease

We are looking for a short-term or long-term lease. There is no option to purchase. As part of the lease agreement we are interested in having the farmer to provide guidance and direction to the historic site's 1 acre farm. The farmer would be able to keep most of what they produce, but we would like to be able to use about 10% of produce for programming at the historic site. Ideally we are seeking a person who uses regenerative and sustainable farming practices. We are looking for someone who is comfortable with the public and would lead seasonal tours or workshops of the farming practices. 

Price for Lease Per Acre

$2

Are you willing to mentor a new or beginning farmer?

No

Do you require a farmer who qualifies for agricultural assessment?

No

Production Preferences

Livestock / Crops Description

We are open to almost anything except livestock.

Crops Permitted

  • black outline of a carrot Vegetables
  • black outline apple icon Fruits
  • black outline of a flower Flowers or Ornamentals
  • black outline of a wheat germ Grains
  • black outline hay icon Hay
  • black outline maple icon Maple
  • black outline other crops icon Other Crops

Livestock Permitted

  • Black outline of a bee Bees

Preferred Farming Method

Biodynamic Conventional Organic (certified) Organic (not certified) Regenerative/Sustainable No method

Farm Infrastructure

  • black outline electrical icon Electrical access
  • Black outline of a water drop Water access

Water Access

TBD

Additional Property Information

Is the Property Conserved

No

Current Land Zoning

Agricultural

Is the property located in a NY Agricultural District?

Unsure

Can the public be on the property as a part of the farm business?

Negotiable

Find Nearby Farms

Ag Updates

Leslie Hamilton, Triple H Farms, Geneseo, NY October 15 2018Photo essay for the American Farmland Trust and Great Lakes Protection Fund illustrating farms and landowners working together to conserve the land and resources.

The Farmland Owner Hub is here!

Are you a landowner looking to support farmland preservation by making your land available to farmers? Maybe you want to learn more about how you can steward your farmland with sustainable practices in mind? Or maybe you have goals you’d like to achieve that ensures the future of your farm? Check out the Farmland Owner Hub to explore various topics.

Visit the Hub 

Cornelle Cooperative Extension NY Logo

2024 New York Cash Rent Survey

We get asked all the time what average rental rates are for a county or region! Cornell Cooperative Extension is working to survey farmers, farmland landowners, and agribusiness professionals to create an up-to-date snapshot of farmland rental rates and custom harvest fees. Your response to this survey will help us to provide the most accurate information! 

Survey Information Online Survey Link