Description of the property’s current condition and current use(s):
Former pasture and productive tree nursery. Soils tend to be clay, fairly poorly drained but manageable. 2 cleared, flat acres with room to expand.
Farm history / past uses of the property:
Pasture, corn, but mainly tree nursery and fallow
Infrastructure and equipment:
- Water access
- Barns or other facilities for storage of equipment, livestock, and crops
- Equipment available for sale or lease
- Electrical Access
Owner will put in fencing at owner's expense
Water access description:
Well and ponds, drainage ditch, river down steep slopes
Meeting barn with offices and engineering, tool storage, small farm stand open to the public, animal barn, chicken coop, 20 x 30 greenhouse being installed
Owner will purchase
Crops and Livestock
Types of crops permitted to be produced on the property:
Types of livestock permitted on the property:
Livestock/crops description :
Prefer small animal operation but open to small number of cattle
Description of tenure options:
Looking for farm manager, open to farm management by existing neighboring farmer, looking to buy produce in 2022 and have animals brought on site for teaching demonstrations
Current land zoning:
Is the property located in a NY Agricultural District?:
Preferred farming method:
Preferences and restrictions on agricultural activities:
We are a hospitality business (hotel, restaurant, event space and education center) so looking for someone excited to grow in that environment. Need to be open to other farms supplying the hotel and restaurant.
Do you require a farmer who qualifies for agricultural assessment?:
Are you willing to have the public on the property as a part of the farm business?:
Any additional information about this property:
Wildflower Farms is a 65 cabin, nature-immersive boutique hotel, farm, restaurant,
holistic spa and event space opening Fall of 2022 in Gardiner, NY. The 140-acre former
pasture and tree farm will be home to a diversified vegetable and fruit farm, medicinal
herb and flower gardens, a farm stand, limited animal program and thoughtful culinary
programming. The property features ponds, forests and a half mile of river frontage,
with landscaped walking trails, access to the Tuthilltown Whisky Distillery (Hudson
Whiskey) and awesome views of the nearby Shawangunk Ridge, Mohonk Preserve and
Minnewaska State Park. Wildflower Farms will celebrate the best of the region,
growing particular varietals on site for optimal taste and presentation while selecting
other products to showcase our incredible friends and neighbors. We seek to educate
the public about growing for flavor, eating seasonally and regenerative hospitality.
We are seeking 2 experienced farmers to join our team for an immediate start date. As
the founding farmers, you will be intimately involved in the design and execution of the
farm plan within the broader hotel landscape. You will own primarily responsibility for all
aspects of farm operations: designing and implementing an infrastructure plan,
cultivation and field prep management, seeding, transplanting, weed and pest
management, harvesting and processing crops. Knowledge of composting systems and
interest in managing or assisting initially with chickens, pigs, sheep, goats is required.
You will work independently and collaborate weekly with the hotel team to create and
meet budgets, source materials, design and execute programming for guests,
customers and our non-profit partners. You will ultimately be responsible for hiring,
training, and working alongside the farm team (which may include J-1s, contractors,
engineering and maintenance personnel, interns and specialized, neighboring farm
partners). You will implement a crop and compost plan, work closely with the chef, and
assist with a value-add farm product program for the farm stand.
The remainder of 2021 will be spent on site design and land prep, planting and
establishing longer-lead-time fruit trees, berry, pumpkin and christmas tree patches, and
program development. Spring 2022 will be the planting season for the Summer 2022
farm opening and Summer/Fall 2022 hotel, restaurant and spa opening.
In 2021, part-time or partially-remote (hourly or contract) work is possible. Beginning
Spring 2022, full-time dedication is required.
● At least 3 years of farming experience is strongly preferred while hospitality,
culinary, apothecary, retail, design, entertainment, arts or education experience is
● Familiarity with tools, implements, compost systems, refrigeration, water
systems, greenhouses and knowledge of how to design, care for and fix them
● Passion for farming AND passion for education, hospitality, guest interaction,
and creating memorable spaces and experiences
● Interest in working most weekends and holidays that are peak guest times
while taking time off in slower periods
● Excellent work ethic and a desire to work outside in all weather conditions
● Positive and collaborative attitude and ability to jump into impromptu
interactions with guests
● Ability to work independently and take initiative, see projects through to
completion and keep open lines of communication with team members
● Outstanding communication (oral and written) skills required for farm updates
through social media and guest and community programming
● Interest in food as medicine, early childhood education, and local, seasonal
● Knowledge of medicinal plants, flowers and value add production is a plus
● Drivers license and clean driving record
Schedule: This is a salaried position where hours will flex up in the growing season and
down in the winter season. .
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Includes paid vacation, sick and personal days, paid employee development training,
discounts and other benefits. Pay ranges from $45k to $70k/year depending on skill,
housing and transportation needs.
HOW TO APPLY:
1) Please email [email protected] answer the following questions:
○ What excites you most about Wildflower Farms?
○ What are your long-term career goals?
○ How do you feel about working 40-50 hours outdoors in all weather
○ How do you describe your working style?
○ Are you open to working most weekends and holidays while taking more
significant time off in winter?
○ Do you require employer provided housing? What type (roommate,
shared house, fully or partially subsidized, proximity to site).
○ Do you require an employer provided truck?
2) Please provide a resume