-5+ years growing backyard organic vegetables,
-3+ years as a hobbyist beekeeper,
-2 years of experience working as a 4-H educator with Cornell Cooperative Extension - teaching youth about beef/dairy cattle, meat/dairy goats, sheep, llamas/alpacas, horses, donkeys, poultry and a variety of fruits/vegetables,
-Will soon be completing required hours for Master Food Preserver Certification.
- Columbia County
- Greene County
- Dutchess County
- Ulster County
- 5 or fewer
Emerging farmer: 2 years or more of on farm work experience
Not currently farming
Primary reason for farming
Farm will generate a portion of my income
Farming status, plans, and practices
I am currently a hobbyist gardener and beekeeper, but would be interested in transitioning to full-time farming if I am able to find a suitable partnership. I am most interested in working with cattle, sheep and/or poultry, but I am open to other options. I plan to pursue my Master's degree in agricultural education in a few years once I gain more hands-on experience.
Farm Experience & Education
- Farm internship/apprenticeship
- Farmer training or workshop
- On farm work experience
- Bachelor's degree in Psychology
- 2 years of experience as a 4-H educator with Cornell Cooperative Extension managing their special needs, afterschool, and summer programs.
- Created and taught curricula on beef/dairy cattle, meat/dairy goats, sheep, llamas/alpacas, horses, donkeys, poultry and a variety of fruits/vegetables,
- 5+ years growing backyard organic vegetables,
- 3+ years as a hobbyist beekeeper,
- Will soon be completing required hours for Master Food Preserver Certification.
Farming Plans and Practices
Farming method or practice
- Organic (certified)
- Organic (not certified)
I have general experience with all of the listed livestock, however I am mostly interested in cattle, sheep and poultry.
I am open to learning about any available crops on the farm. I have the most experience with vegetables.
I have significant experience marketing products and services through websites and social media, as well as experience with festivals and farmer's markets.
Farm business plan or farm resume
Infrastructure requirements depend on livestock and crops available.
Currently located in Columbia County, if relocation is required housing may be necessary.
Currently looking for a mentorship or partnership opportunity. Not currently looking to lease or purchase, but would definitely be interested in the future.