James Murphy

I need to lease non-residential land to acquire a hemp license.

Preferred counties/regions

  • Hudson Valley
  • Southern Tier
  • Long Island
  • New York City

Desired acreage

  • 6-10
  • 11-20

Farming Status

Beginning farmer: 10 years or less of experience managing a farm business

Not currently farming

Primary reason for farming


License requirement

Farming status, plans, and practices

I need to lease non-residential land to acquire a hemp license. From there I am submitting a Federal Farm Ownership Loan with the Department of Agriculture.

The issue is, I need a license to obtain the loan and buy the property, and they won't issue a license unless you own or rent the land.

Farm Experience & Education

  • On farm work experience

Previously farm work experience on a peanut farm (3 years). 

Farming Plans and Practices

Farming method or practice

  • No method

Primary crops

  • black outline other crops icon Other Crops

Primary livestock

  • No Livestock

Farm business plan or farm resume

I have a business plan

Farmland Needs

Infrastructure required

  • Black outline of a water drop Water access

Water access required. 

Desired Tenure

Tenure options desired

  • For Lease

Lease to start. 

Will this operation qualify an eligible landowner for an Agricultural Assessment?


Ag Updates

Service providers speak with farmer while overlooking a field.

Starting a New Year with New Growth in New York

The start of a new year aligned with the start for new staff members and transitioning roles for our American Farmland Trust New York team! Meet Heidi, José, Mikaela, and Ashlea and learn a bit about what brought them to their work in saving New York farmland that sustains us below!

Meet Our Growing Team