- Finger Lakes
- Southern Tier
- Tompkins County
Aspiring farmer: 1 year or less of farming experience
Not currently farming
Primary reason for farming
Farm will generate a portion of my income
Farming status, plans, and practices
Our central farm practice will be sustainable and regenerative: goal would be 100% offgrid, soil health- ex: composting, cover crops, solar usage, carbon capture, rainwater harvesting. We are ideally seeking land in Ithaca or the surronding areas.
1. Equine sanctuary- track system with hay production (possible lease options)
2. Organic food production based upon geographical criteria - a co-op, farmers market, sell to local restaurants, and provide food to underserved and marginalized communities.
3. Research/education opportunities for local Universities, non-profits, data analysis, proof of concept, workshops, equine therapy/farm skills for marginalized communities.
4. Agrivoltics - explore 100% renewable energy, carbon neutral options.
Farm Experience & Education
- Farm internship/apprenticeship
- On farm work experience
I volunteered/worked on a 100 acre equine sanctuary that utilized regenerative practices which has provided the framework for our future sanctuary. There is no doubt, farm work is the most challenging, yet rewarding of all of my personal and professional experiences.
I am a military veteran with PTSD, who is also in recovery. Most of my healing is due to being in nature, working outdoors, and learning from equines. I hope to be a key part of a community which is highly collaborative in nature.
Farming Plans and Practices
Farming method or practice
- Organic (certified)
Hay production- Teff certification (big dream)
Equine sanctuary on a track system, w/rotating pastures
Bees with pollinator gardens
Organic veggies and fruits
Organic marketing methodology/practices- community networking and collaborations, local restaurants, equine spaces, focusing on genuine and holistic engagements with local non profits and co-ops
We don't intend to reinvent the wheel here, we would love to align with: WOOF, co-ops, Teff certification communities, local feed stores and restaurants, social workers that use regenerative spaces for patient healing (recovery and marginalized/underserved communities).
Farm business plan or farm resume
- Family/main house- 3/2 less than 1800 sq.ft , single story, (bonus for solar, rainwater collection, wind, geothermal)
- Barn/cover for horses (~10 horses max), indoor arena w/tack room - for training/education workshops
- Equipment/hay storage- tractors, ATV(mule), attachments, supplemental tools, farm vehicles
- Greenhouse/s/ and ample space for composting
- Guest housing- tiny homes, studio apartments, loft spaces
- Acreage for Land conservation
- Perimeter fencing for equines- (ex: RAMM fencing),
- NOT in a flood plain
We are primarily seeking long-term land ownership and conservation; however, we are absolutely open to partnerships that support our sustainable/regenerative business model. a collaborative arrangement with the prior owner and the community/non profits for leasing, research, co-op, and educational purposes.