About Queens County Farm Museum
Queens County Farm Museum is one of the longest continually farmed sites in New York State, dating back to 1697. It is a New York City Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places. Queens Farm welcomes over 400,000 visitors per year. It is a vital and rare resource connecting people to agriculture and the environment creating learning opportunities about biodiversity, health and wellness, climate change and preserving local history. Queens Farm hosts a wide variety of acclaimed education programs, public events and adult education programs to serve the public. Its Farm Store is open year-round. Queens Farm operates numerous seasonal farmstands onsite and offsite with community partners.
The farm’s 47-acre site is made up of nine buildings including the Adriance Farmhouse (c. 1772), Farm Store and Greenhouse in addition to the growing fields, animal paddocks, compost site and apiary. Queens Farm is a working farm with a full range of livestock, vegetable production, and farm equipment.
Please note that Queens Farm is in Queens County.
Queens Farm is hiring a Director of Grounds & Operations to supervise the Operations Department, which operates and maintains the farm’s public spaces, grounds, public facilities and administrative facilities. The Director of Grounds & Operations maintains physical assets including buildings, activation spaces, hangar, heavy machinery, vehicles, and all other equipment and properties; provides custodial services; and supervises the Operation Department’s full-time and seasonal staff providing direction in the care and upkeep of Queens Farm. The Director of Grounds & Operations provides dynamic leadership in managing, operating and improving farm grounds and facilities for public use.
The successful candidate should be a team leader and able to direct multiple activities at once, providing supervision, guidance and follow up as necessary. Important attributes include being flexible, having the ability to prioritize work assignments in a fluid environment, ability to work effectively with other departments in carrying out the principal functions of the departments, and commitment to creating and maintaining a positive visitor experience at Queens Farm. Possess knowledge and proven experience in groundskeeping, building and vehicle maintenance, including snow removal, lawn maintenance, trash and recycling collection.
Includes but not limited to:
- Supervising staff, scheduling and providing oversight for all necessary managerial functions for the day-to-day operations of the Operations Department. These functions include snow removal and plowing operations, the operation of vehicle repair and maintenance, support visitor services, education and agriculture departments, coordinating staff to support public programs and events, routine landscaping, lawn maintenance, weeding, trimming and exhibit work.
- Conducting and recommending to the Executive Director, the hiring, training and evaluation of all permanent staff and seasonal/temporary staff for the department.
- Additional responsibilities include assisting the Executive Director in the preparation of operating and capital budgets and working to keep expenditures within such budgets.
- Communicating and coordinating work as appropriate with staff from other departments to guarantee the desired appearance of the farm, activation spaces, buildings and grounds in general.
- Maintain and/or oversee records that the Department is required to keep, including maintenance logs, various agency required records, receiving documents, etc.
- Maintain Queens Farm’s standards for quality and professionalism and enhanced visitor experience throughout Queens Farm, its facilities, buildings and activation spaces.
- Perform site inspections and provide weekly status reports on conditions and issues.
- Coordinate special event related operations such as site preparation, equipment transportation, seating, trash removal, restroom cleaning, and breakdown.
- Source, coordinate and schedule farm vendors (i.e. electricians, plumbers, etc.) and order supplies.
- Lead design/build of special projects.
Required Qualifications & Experience
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and/or high school diploma plus 4-6 years of satisfactory, full-time experience in grounds maintenance, gardening, building maintenance or construction, of which 18 months must have been in an administrative, consultative or managerial capacity.
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds, and considerable physical stamina is required.
- Willingness to work outside in adverse weather conditions.
- A Motor Vehicle Driver’s License valid in the State of New York is required within three months of the date of appointment.
- Ability to operate farm equipment and machinery in a safe manner.
- Self-motivated, punctual, detail-oriented with strong time management skills.
- Experience in organizational development, conservation and management of natural, historic and organizational resources.
- Excellent management, administrative and communication skills.
- Experience with planning and implementing capital projects.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain a NYS CDL with prior heavy equipment experience a plus.
- Possess or have the ability to obtain a FDNY P-15 and UST Operator A and B certification.
- Familiarity with OSHA compliance and have or take OSHA training courses pertinent to Maintenance and Horticulture is especially helpful.
- Proven experience with developing a budget and project timelines with measurable results.
- Spanish proficiency is desirable.
- Workplace Conditions and Environment
- As an essential staff member, you must be available to work during and after all weather events including hurricanes, tornados, floods, wind and/or ice storms, snow storms, etc. and during other emergency situations. Must be computer literate, especially Microsoft Office; Must be able to work weekends and holidays when necessary.
Full-time, exempt. Salary commensurate with experience.
Queens County Farm Museum is an equal opportunity employer dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. EOE/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled
Please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected].
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.