The Glynwood Center for Regional Food and Farming is a non-profit organization serving food and farming changemakers from New York’s Hudson Valley and beyond. We strive to create an inclusive workplace, and seek qualified candidates with a strong passion for Glynwood's mission. We hire without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other protected characteristic. Read our equity statement and learn more about our mission and values.
Glynwood seeks up to two apprentices for the 2024 season to be part of our Livestock Apprenticeship Program. The Apprenticeship Program is designed for beginning farmers who plan to pursue a career in livestock production. Apprentices assist in all aspects of production on our diversified, pasture-based livestock operation. We raise cattle, sheep, hogs and poultry. Work includes day-to-day care of the animals as well as monitoring breeding, birthing, caring for sick or injured animals, and pasture management.
We believe the most effective method of teaching farming is through experiential learning out in the field. We supplement our apprentice in-field learning with other educational opportunities including:
- Participating in 60 hrs of classroom-based learning presented by experts outside of the Glynwood farm team
- Sessions lasting 1-3 hrs on 20 different key farming topics and systems delivered by Glynwood farm managers
- Visiting many other regional farms as part of Mid-Hudson CRAFT
- Access to a robust alumni network and other organizational contacts for long-term technical and general networking assistance
The livestock apprentice positions are 9 months, from mid-March to mid-December. Apprentice compensation is as follows:
- $15 per hour wage
- Private room in a 6-bedroom house shared with the other apprentices
- Educational programing averaging 5 hrs/week
- Paid time off
- $500 in a Healthcare Reimbursement Account
- $200 workwear stipend, and $250 conference stipend
- Free Glynwood eggs and vegetables and a 40% discount on Glynwood meat and Farm Store products
Click here for the Livestock Apprentice posting and the link to the application form. Apply by October 15, 2023 to be considered during our first-round interviews.